Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Introduction

Previous: Preface

It's been two years since anything has happened on any of my blogs, so I wouldn't be surprised if you had begun to fear (or hope) that I had fallen off the edge of the earth. I assure you I have not done so.

Health issues and other constraints have hampered my blogging, but they haven't hampered my mind. Consequently, I have done far more reading, listening, and thinking than writing -- for two full years.

I imagine the prospect of spending a long time thinking but not writing would be entirely unwelcome to most bloggers, as it was to me. And I would never recommend taking on additional health issues, nor would I wish anyone to labor under additional constraints. But I must say these clouds have brought silver linings.

My hiatus from blogging has given me a wonderful opportunity, one which I never could have expected, and one for which I never would have hoped, especially during my "prolific" period, during which I spent hundreds of hours every day on my blogs, despite the fact that my best work, as indeed all my work, was almost universally ignored.

It's boosted my self-esteem by providing a good reason for the universe to ignore me.

It's given me an opportunity to sort out my thoughts with neither the (admittedly self-imposed) pressure of having to express them on a regular basis, nor the (also self-imposed) pressure of exposing them to public criticism.

Most importantly, because I haven't been trying to force my thoughts into structures that would facilitate verbal expression, I have had the freedom to re-arrange them according to more useful, natural, or organic considerations. And I have done so.

Along the way, I have become wildly delusional.

In light of this turn of events, I have decided to burden the public with a dismal series of tedious essays in which I plan to: explain how and why I became delusional; enumerate some of the ways in which being delusional has changed my life for the better; and point out a few of the many pathways that can lead to wild delusion.

I dare to hope that one or more of my readers, armed with the background ignorance, the personal apathy, and the lack of independent thought which I plan to embed in this dismal new series, will themselves seek to become delusional.

From tiny acorns mighty oaks do grow.

Next: Part One: How And Why I Became Delusional
Previous: Preface
Home: Contents
~~~
Your comments are invited.