Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Hans Blix NOT in Iraq


Iraq truly did not have
any stockpiles of banned weapons.
News reports about Hans Blix and the UN weapons inspectors in Iraq appeared daily in all the world's media, so the situation was clearly and universally understood, or so I thought.

But some time after the invasion, when it was becoming increasingly obvious that Iraq truly did not have any stockpiles of banned weapons, a friend asked me, "If Saddam Hussein didn't have any weapons, why didn't he let the inspectors in?"

I didn't know what to say, so I tried the factual approach. I told him the UN weapons inspectors had definitely been in Iraq, and that I had heard their leader, Hans Blix, talking about it on Radio Sweden, every day, for months.

But he wasn't buying it. He was sure I was mistaken. And eventually it became clear that if we wanted to maintain our friendship, we had better avoid the subject.

So we never came to an understanding about why Saddam Hussein didn't allow the UN weapons inspectors into Iraq, even though he had no weapons.

And I remained perplexed until I learned out that, as soon as the weapons inspectors left Iraq, the Bush administration started claiming Saddam had never let them in at all.

Then I suspected that my friend was suffering from an overdose of propaganda.

Had I known of The Mandela Effect at the time, I might have suspected something else.

Next: Solar Geometry On The Flat Earth
Previous: Double Bogus When Lit
Home: Contents
~~~
Your comments are invited.